Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday 22 September 2012

Some times you just have to laugh...

I was just reading an article in the comedy section of the Huffington Post.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/22/13-ironic-speak-english-signs_n_1906008.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Ironic "Speak English" signs:










Here, they even underlined the mistake!












Is there an added irony to the quotation marks for speak English?





Mind you we all make typos every now and then, but you thought they would have checked before making signs, especially if they are complaining that English isn't being spoken, let alone spoken correctly.

Somehow this brings my aunt to mind!  Why I head you ask?  She went to university as a mature student at the end of the sixties and read English and Theology.  I still hate writing to her because she used to send my letters back with corrections.  I am still a bit paranoid about punctuation to this day.

Two peoples divided by a common language.  Winston Churchill was certainly right about that, but then his mother was American so he would have had first hand experience of the problem.  While this might sound as though I am gently mocking our American cousins (would I do that?) I can assure them that the English have similar problems with spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment