Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday 20 July 2012

The Gathering Place - but only for cancer survivors

The Gathering Place - A caring community for those touched by cancer, unless it kills you that is!
http://www.touchedbycancer.org/2012/07/art-imitating-life/

The link actually says more that they probably meant to say about the attitude of the cancer community to metastatic cancer - aka the cancer that kills.  "Art imitating life".  Hmmm.

Cancer, and breast cancer in particular, is dominated by "survivors" and while many cancers can be 'cured' this is not the case for all cancers and I am fed up with the pink fluffy people who simultaneously want to shout about how they are cured and then expect others to listen to them whinge about the stress of having 'cancer that nearly killed me'.  Stage I or Stage II cancer does NOT kill.  It only kills when it progresses to Stage IV when it is considered incurable.  It almost makes me want to wish Stage IV on them, but I wouldn't actually do that to anyone.

This art exhibition has imitated life in that it has been banned and censored by a charity because it has upset some of their volunteers and other visitors.  The pink fluffy people are upset that Stage IV really does exists, and are scared that this may be their future - be afraid, be very afraid my little survivors as it could well be YOU.

Such charities are happy to raise money from the FACT that thousands of people die of cancer each year; actually world wide I think it is over 7 million.  But what happens to this money?  Does it go towards research for a cure?  No most of it goes to 'prevention' or stopping cancer becoming incurable.  It goes to the fluffy pink people.  I once asked Cancer Research UK who much of their annual research budget of about £400million they spent on any type of secondary cancer, the answer was 1%.  Yep, you read that correctly, one per cent goes to research into the cancer that kills - of any sort, not just breast cancer.

Someone I know once went to a Breast Cancer 'support' group and after she mentioned that she was Stage IV no one would speak to her; she never went back.  Another friend was told up front by the 'support' group that she went to that she was not to say she was Stage IV.  She ended up giving support to the pink fluffy people, who should actually have been giving her support except that they don't want to recognise that we actually exist.  We are their nightmare, but no one wants to tell them that there is something like a 30% chance that they will join us.  The survivors are upset about seeing photos of us; but how upsetting is their prejudice and reaction to the truth of our situation to those of use who are living with this?

2 comments:

  1. Vicki...
    I hope you will come and see my blog....and that you will provide a link to THIS piece. I want you to know that I stand shoulder to shoulder with you. I'm early stage and 5 yrs post chemo. I've devoted myself to giving voice to those whose disease is now incurable.

    With love,
    AnneMarie

    http://chemo-brain.blogspot.com/2012/07/lets-change-conversation-shall-we.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how I provide a link on your blog...I am not very blog literate I'm afraid. Your blog looks great, and well done for supporting the Army of Women. I joined a while ago, but so far there hasn't really been anything that I can get involved with from this side of the Atlantic. I will have to find out how to put some of those badges on my own blog.

      A year, or more, ago I signed over my tumour tissue to a tumour bank that they have formed in the UK so that researchers can apply for a sample for their research. I have no problem with this, it ain't no good to me now, and if it can supply one of the atoms of knowledge that will improved things in the future then that can only be good. I also gave some blood samples at the time for storage so they can be used as and when.

      The sun is out the weather seems to have turned in time for the Olympics starting in 5 days. I just hope it lasts through August while I am not at work. Vicki xxx

      Delete