Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday 26 October 2012

Oh yes, I forgot to tell you some good news

Tuesday was 'go to see the oncologist to get your scan results' day.  It was not one that I was looking forward to because over the last couple of months my walking has got worse and I've been limping more.  The results were STABLE - again - with a possibility of something starting at L1 in my spine.  It was almost a year since I had a bone scan and I really had begun to wonder what was going on, but last Saturday my pelvis began to shift and the pressure on my right femur has lessened.  Phew!

It is 5 years since the x-ray was taken that showed that my right hip was about to collapse.  The average survival time for someone with Metastatic Breast Cancer would suggest that I have been dead for at least two years, which just goes to show that there is no way that you should go by statistics because it is another way of saying this is an educated guess at best.  Personally I don't think that I have ever fitted into the average category of anything, and I really just can't be bothered to become average now ... not with my statistical life expectancy!

The scan results have given me the confidence to think about what I am going to do in the summer holidays.  I work in a tertiary college (mainly 16 - 19 year olds) so I have a long break in the summer.  Next year, 2013, the Three Choirs Festival returns to Gloucester Cathedral on its three year rotation between Gloucester, Worcester and Hereford, and I fancy going again. The programme won't come out until next year, but I really enjoyed it in 2012 sitting in the choir and listening to the amazing music floating around me.  As one of the evensong services was broadcast on the BBC I suppose I can technically claim that I have sung on the radio!  Yes, that was me you could hear in the distant background and not a howling dog!

But first there is winter to get through, and on Sunday the clocks will be going back one hour to Greenwich Mean Time and the end of British Summer Time.  In some ways I like Autumn and winter, with the drawing in of the days and it is less that two months now until the shortest day.  I actually rather like being able to snuggle up at home with a hot drink and a good book,  or even my PC if it ever comes back home ...

No comments:

Post a Comment